Sundargarh District was created out of the two former Princely states of Gangpur and Bonai, which integrated with Orissa on 1st January 1948. After 1st April 1978, Sundargarh Judgeship was separated from Sambalpur Judgeship, and from then onwards the District Court started functioning.
The District Court is functioning in its old building from 1st April, 1985. It is a two-storied building with a ground floor of 15,260 sq.ft. and the first floor, about 11,772 sq.ft. It has 9 Court rooms, offices of different Courts, Video Conferencing Room, e-Sewa Kendra and V.C. cabin.
The outlying stations are at Rourkela, Rajgangpur and Bonai. On 21st February 2021, a new Court building of Additional District Judge was constructed by OSPH & WC was inaugurated.
Shri Pradeep Kumar Mahanta was the District and Sessions Judge till 25th November, 2021. Shri Subhadarshi Pattnaik took over on 29th November, 2021.
Apart from the District and Sessions Judge, the judgeship consists of the following courts: