With the formation of a separate province of Odisha in 1936, Bargarh district was carved out incorporating the areas of two sub-divisions, Bargarh and Padmapur from the erstwhile district of Sambalpur in March 1993.
The Judgeship of Bargarh was separated from its parent judgeship Sambalpur with effect from 12th July, 2011 and the Court of District and Sessions Judge started functioning at Bargarh with outlying courts at Padmapur, Sohella, Barpalli, Attabira and Bheden.
The District Court Building at Bargarh constructed by the R&B Division, was inaugurated on 14th October, 2006. The Court Building consists of three floors and in each floor, there are four Courts. In 2021, provision for one more Court Room was made in the building by renovating two vacant rooms for the functioning of the Court of J.M.F.C. The Library and e-Sewa Kendra are functioning in the District Court Building. All ICT facilities including VC are available in each Court Room for functioning of the Court in virtual mode. Moreover, drinking water and toilet facilities are available in the building for the Officers, staff, lawyers, litigant public and other stakeholders.
Shri Sanjaya Kumar Sahoo was the District and Sessions judge from 4th January till 10th July 2021. Shri Asim Kumar Dalbehera took over on 23rd July, 2021.