After creation of the separate State of Odisha in 1936, a new Judgeship named Cuttack-Sambalpur came into being with its headquarters at Cuttack, under the jurisdiction of the Patna High Court.
The Sambalpur District was subsequently divided into four separate Districts. Bargarh District was separated in 1993, and Jharsuguda and Deogarh districts were separated in 1994.
Initially, the Courts of Sambalpur were functioning in the old Court building constructed prior to 1947. A new Court building was constructed in 1951 which has two floors. It houses 13 Court rooms. The extension was inaugurated on 27th April, 2021. It has 4 Court rooms spread over 99.180 sq.ft. Among the facilities available is a ramp with wheelchairs for the physically disabled and the elderly, lifts and power backup facilities.
Shri Biranchi Narayan Mohanty was the District and Sessions Judge throughout the year.