The Judgeship of Cuttack started functioning in 1936. It covered a huge area encompassing the Revenue Districts of Cuttack, Balasore and Puri as well as the Princely State of Dhenkanal. Subsequently, Puri and Balasore had their separate Judgeships and therefore, Cuttack Judgeship was confined to the Revenue District of Cuttack and Dhenkanal till 1977, when the Judgeship of Dhenkanal was separated. The then Judgeship of Cuttack extended to the Revenue Districts of Cuttack, Kendrapara, Jajpur and Jagatsinghpur from the year 1977. On 26th and 28th June 2012, Kendrapara and Jajpur became separate Judgeships respectively. Today, Cuttack is the largest judgeship of the state in terms of the number of courts with outlying stations at Athagarh, Narsinghpur, Baramba, Banki, Salipur, Tigiria and Niali.
The District Court is functioning in the old building comprising old District Court building, Civil Court extension building and Track Court Building in the District Court Complex. The old Court building is spread over approximately 28,503 sq. ft. of land. The Civil Courts extension building is spread over approximately 39,097 sq. ft. of land. The Track Court building is spread over approximately 12,597 sq. ft.
The OSPH & WC is presently constructing the JMFC Court building at Tigiria.
Shri Raj Kumar Sahoo was the District and Sessions Judge till 30th June, 2021. Shri Bidyut Kumar Mishra took over on 1st July 2021